I presently work at Lehigh Valley Health Network on their consultation-liaison psychiatry team. Consultation-liaison psychiatry, commonly called psychosomatic medicine, is a branch of psychiatry specializing in the interface between medicine and psychiatry. I provide evaluations at the request of the medical staff for a variety of issues including:
1. Management of medical conditions which cause psychiatric or behavioral symptoms (e. g. delirium)
2. Support of patients with preexisting psychiatric illnesses admitted for the treatment of a medical condition
3. Assessment of a patient’s capacity to make medical decisions,
4. Immediate intervention for psychiatric emergencies (e.g. traumatic events, suicide attempts, and self-harm behavior),
5. Treatment of substance withdrawal, and
6. Recommendations for medically unexplained physical symptoms (e.g. somatoform disorders).
This is an exciting and fascinating psychiatric specialty!